The barrel race was such a fun way to end the festival. It’s like it’s the Super Bowl but in Montepulciano. Townspeople were crowded everywhere and we all gathered into professor Luc’s apartment to watch the race. The morning of the race started with a flag throwing ceremony and then festivities took a bit of a break before the race at 7pm. People from all over flocked to the town and the piazza to experience the race—it’s probably a great time to own a business locally.
Before the race actually began there was a parade of each contrada. It’s seriously one of the coolest things because the locals will don their medieval wear, in the colors of their contrad9as and walk the path of the race. Each contrada has flags that they toss between those throwing them, and most contradas have people dressed as jesters or as Kings and Queens. Even young kids will participate, generally taking the lead of their contrada.
Once each contrada was represented up in the piazza, the race was ready to kick off. It was 7pm and we were all gathered in Luc’s apartment, circled around this tiny tv just to watch the race start down at the bottom of the hill. Keith suggested people place 2€ bets on which team they thought would win—I didn't have any money on me but if I had I would of placed a bet on Contrada Cognano, the contrada we ate dinner at the Friday before. Lucky for me that I didn't because Contrada Cognano definitely came in dead last. Like the kind of dead last where you almost feel bad for the team, although you know you wouldn't be able to race a giant barrel up the hill any faster.
I really can’t remember which team won but watching the race was definitely a unique experience. From the whole week of contradas, the flag tossing and the locals dressing up, the Bravio delle Botti festival is not one Im going to be forgetting anytime soon. The town is slowly emptying out as tourists depart, and unfortunately cafes and shops close up a bit earlier than when the town was packed with people. It’s also sad to see contradas slowly taking their flags down—the last remaining flags I've seen have been from the winning contrada, proudly showing their colors.
I feel like once we return from Rome next week the town will really be empty. As of yet there are still a number of tourists but August is also the most popular month to travel for Europeans, as it is their summer. Come September I expect a new sort of quietness to the town but I prefer being in smaller crowds as it is so I look forward to it. I’m not too excited for the change of professors and classes but Im also hoping a new schedule will kind of refresh people.



No comments:
Post a Comment