Thursday, September 7, 2017

Just vibin in Rome

Mornings 

Okay so Im definitely NOT a morning person and the morning of Rome we had to meet at the bus station at 6:45 (not a fan of that). Thank goodness I decided to pack the night before because if I didn't I would have been screwed considering I woke up 15 minutes until I had to be at the bus station. Even though it was rough to have to force myself to wake up and walk in the rain down to the bus station I was super excited to be going to Rome for the very first time! 

Still blows my mind that Im in Italy for two months and I get to see such interesting history and places that Ive heard about growing up for as long as I remember. So I would definitely wake up early again for an experience like this. 

Just like the previous week we took the bus to Chiusi, but from there was the longest train ride ever it felt like. While on the train I decided to take a nap and that was interesting considering My head was sitting straight up the entire time so Im not too sure how I managed to do that. But I was woken up by how cold it got on the train and mind you I haven't really felt AC since I've been here in monte p so it was quite a rude awakening. 

I'm also not sure how I'm gonna adjust to AC when I get back to Georgia since I've been living with a fan next to my bed every night and it's usually blazing hot everywhere elseI go. Besides how ridiculously freezing it was on the ride there we also had to figure out how to do our make up on the train before we got to Rome. If you could have seen a handful of girls sitting on a train hovering over tiny mirrors you would have probably thought it was the funniest thing. Honestly, I think I did a pretty good job for trying to do my make up on a train but it wasn't good lol Not really sure if I'm ever gonna try to attempt that again though. After a long train ride that was supposed to be 2 hours and ended up being longer we finally made it to the Rome train station!






Rain in Rome?!

Second adventure outside monte p and I have to say it started off rough. Eventually the weekend got better but it was definitely a long one considering I walked almost 60,000 steps which is probably more than my entire existance. Not really but you get the point.

Our first stop was the colosseum and the forum! It definitely sucked that it was raining when we got to Rome considering it hasn't rained the entire time we've been in Italy until we actually traveled somewhere, but we did make the best of it. At one point one of my proffesors in the train station found a guy who had ponchos and everyone ran over to him to buy one and I probably should have done that also because the "rain jacket" I brought with me wasn't actually a rain jacket after all but instead a windbreaker...BUT on the bright side because everyone bought ponchos my professor got a free umbrella I was able to use so I didn't have to buy anything. Such a nice man. 

After the dilemma of trying to get everyone ponchos we walked out of the train station and honestly when I was standing there I didn't even realize that I was standing next to the colosseum until I looked up and was in shock at what I was looking at. I was so in shock that I was looking at something that was built thousands of years ago and even in that moment I couldn't even wrap my mind around that fact. In that moment the rain really didn't matter to me anymore because I was in the midst of one of the coolest things I have ever seen before.

I probably should have done more research on Rome before I went but throughout all the tours I learned a lot about the history. Especially the forum when we went to the place Julius Caesar was burned thousands of years ago.






Vatican/Sistine Chapel 

Even though the colosseum and the forum was really cool to see I have to say walking into the Vatican was one of the most amazing and overwhelming experiences yet. As I was walking around the Vatican I felt a lot of emotions to see something so beautiful and grand. I even got to go into the church twice that day but I'm glad I went earlier on in the morning because we were able to get up close to more things than other were later on in the afternoon. Im not catholic but I can only imagine what was going through some peoples minds as they walked around looking at everything their religion is about.

Along with the Vatican we had a tour of the museums and the sistine chapel and one of the weirdest things happened to me on this trip in the sistine chapel...

So I'm walking around amazed by the ceiling and the beauty of the sistine chapel and hearing people getting yelled at about taking pictures of the ceiling when they clearly weren't supposed to. I mean if you're going to take a picture of something you're not supposed to you should probably be more discrete about it like taking a selfie from underneath your face or not having your camera in plain sight of the workers. Besides that mess I was looking around and the one moment I decide to look at the ground I FOUND A 50 EURO.

I really don't understand why this happened but it was so crazy that I found that much money in one of the most holy chapels in the world. I mean whats that about?? Im not complaining at all but I'm still in shock to this moment about it and I can't believe that would happen to me. I felt weird even picking it up in the first place but it was crumpled up on the ground and it wasn't attached to anything else, just the euro itself on the ground.

I realized that so many people a day are so in tune with the ceiling that they don't think twice to look on the ground but that one tiny second I did look at the ground I found money. I don't know if thats a sign but I don't take that happening to me very lightly. I didn't even tell anyone expect my friends on the trip because I honestly felt so overwhelmed by the fact something so small but significant happened to me in the sistine chapel. Im definitely going to remember this for the rest of my life because who can say they found that much money on the ground in one of the most holy chapels in the world??

Well that was my weekend, and it was intense.




No comments:

Post a Comment