Orvieto Cathedral
What a crazy two weeks its been here in Monte p. I don't even know where to begin because its been such an awesome experience so far. One of the coolest things I saw this week was the duomo in Orvieto.The day started off kind of rough because we all had to meet at the bust stop at 645 in the morning. I am definitely not a morning person either so this was a struggle for me. Its even worse because I can't even make coffee to go like I normally do when I wake up early at home. Besides that the transportation part of the trip was interesting. First we got on a bus to Chiusi then the train to Florence. The last time I had been on a train was when I was 5 in New York City. Honestly I would rather take the train everywhere than the bus because the ride was absolutely tragic at 7 in the morning considering the bus driver probably wouldn't care if the bus went off the side of the road.
When we finally arrived and walked up to the main part of orvieto and I saw the Cathedral for this first time I was astonished by what I was looking at. I have never seen architecture so detailed and magnificent before in my entire life, but I guess that's just because I'm coming from the United States I'm not used to seeing so much history. I also have never been out of the United States until this trip so I'm seeing a whole new side to history that I only read about growing up.
As I was walking through the duomo I was mesmerized by the attention to detail and art in every piece. From the floor, to the walls, and ceilings there was such much history carefully carved into each section of the cathedral. Seeing this cathedral that was started in 1290 and took hundreds of years to build has me excited to see what Rome is going to be like in a week.
Our Attempt at Baking
At one point we needed to soften the butter but I realized that we didn't have a microwave so I at this point I decided to set the butter out on our doorstep. I will NOT be baking anything anytime soon after this because it was such a tedious task. Overall funny though to try and accomplish this in Italy and will be a good story to tell my friends and family when I come home about all the interesting things I've done.
No comments:
Post a Comment