Wednesday, August 30, 2017

The Great Debate

On the Test, Or Off The Test
Last Friday we had a Test in BUSA. No one knew exactly what was going to be on the test, so before we took it we had a study session to guess what was going to be on it. Matt Lakatos was adamant that our trip to Orvietto would account for one of the questions on the test. I disagreed. This led to a bet being placed on whether Orvietto would be mentioned ON the test. I said it would not be ON the test, and Matt said it would be ON the test. Test time comes around and there are 9 questions, none of which mention Orvietto at all. However, during the test Dr. Tudor says there is a bonus question and writes it on the board. The bonus question is related to the caves in Orvietto. After the test I tell Matt he owes me 5 euros (the amount we bet). He says, "what do you mean, Orvietto was on the test?" I replied, "No, it was a bonus question on the board. It was not ON the test." His claim was that it was apart of the test we took because it can gain you points on your exam so it must be part of the test. However, it can't take points off your test, so those arguments cancel each other out. Let's take a look at the wording of the bet. The bet was whether or not Orvietto would be ON the test. Key word "ON".  Since it was not physically ON the test, I believe I won this bet. Had the bonus been ON the physical test, I would of gladly surrendered 5 Euro. It was not though. Which means I am owed 5 euros. If my 5 Euros are not given to me this week during normal business hours, I will happily file a police report. Please share the news with Mr Lakatos.






Bravio di Montepulciano
Forget Halloween or Christmas, the Bravio di Montepulciano is the Holliday of the year in Tuscany. It is essentially a day to celebrate the 8 contradas in Montepulciano. Each contrada has their "royal" family members walk up to the Piazza Grande and perform flag tosses and drumming ceremonies. It all culminates in an eventual barrel race around the entire city. Which is exactly what it sounds like. Each contrada has 2 people who try to push their barrel up the hill as fast as they can. The first team to make it up to the Doumo di Montepulciano wins. It is broadcast across Italian public television, so we watched it on tv from Professor Noiset apartment until they rounded the corner onto the street outside his window. The race wasn't even close. Contrada Voltaia destroyed the competition leading the entire race, and beating second place contrada San Donata by at least a minute. The race and day as a whole was pretty exciting. You could feel the pride each contrada had watching their barrel runners move up the hill. There is a great sense of family in the town, and was easily recognized throughout the entire week.


Meal of the Week
Another tough decision for meal of the week. I had a lot of tasty pizza (always with prosciutto on it), a surprisingly good burger, and some of the juiciest steak  have had. However, the winner today is a pasta dish from Pizzeria Rosticceria. I love pasta probably more than anything else, and have been searching for the best. The noodles were a type I have never seen before. They were thick, like lasagna noodles, but not as big. They kind of had the texture of extremely thin slices of chicken. They were perfectly covered in a red meat sauce made of sausage not ground beef. I covered it with some parmesan cheese, and dug in! I will most certainly be returning before my trip is over. Next time I think I will try the lasagna because I havn't had any since I left America, and if it is anything like the pasta, I will be satisfied!

               

No comments:

Post a Comment