Wednesday, August 30, 2017

Steak, Contradas and Barrel Races

Steak, Steak and More Steak!

On Friday, August 25th I would get another opportunity to eat at my favorite place in the town. The restaurant Acquacheta was giving me dreams of going back again, after the first time that we ate their. The first time it was all guys, but this time some girls were up for the challenge. We had less people the second time but got five massive steaks instead of four. Also, we got green beans as a side, which are an all time favorite of mine when eating steak. The experience was just as awesome as the first time and I could honestly eat there every night, but my bank account would say other wise. Going there both times with a group was fun to get to do something outside of a classroom setting, and get to know the people that we are experiencing this study abroad with better. 

You think eating steak once a week is enough? I certainly disagree! On Saturday, August 26th basically everyone went to eat at the red and gold Contrada right by my apartment. Of course I ordered a steak again, and it did not disappoint. Back to back night with steak had me living the dream. I really enjoyed the atmosphere that the Contrada, because we were able to see the unity that the people apart of the whole operation had. There were so many people eating there, but the support that the Contrada provided for one another was impressive. They had people of all ages running food around, cleaning up and checking people in to eat. We had this girl no older than eight bring us our entrees. Everyone there was warm and friendly and it was certainly an experience to never forget. 

Above are the two pictures of the steaks that I ate on Friday and Saturday. The one of the left is from Acquacheta and the one on the right is from the Contrada. Just looking at these pictures again makes me want to eat there right now!

GOALLLLL!

On Saturday we also got to see some of the locals playing soccer down by the front entrance of the town, where the soccer fields are. I am not a huge soccer fan, but Matt and Sam wanted to go check it out. Once I got there though, I thought it was cool to see kids from the local area having fun playing soccer. It provided some entertainment and some exercise for the first time in while. I guess I shouldn't say that, because you get your daily cardio in just by walking around the hills here. I didn't play too well and kicked it over the street once on accident and after that it was time for me to hang up my soccer cleats for good.
Some of the local kids from Montepulciano playing a game of soccer.

The Super Bowl of Montepulciano 

Sunday morning was the start to a festival to remember. I was thrilled when I woke up Sunday, because first off I was able to watch the Mayweather vs. McGregor, and then later that evening there was the annual barrel race between the local Contradas. The fight was fun to watch and was really a close one, until Mayweather showed why he is now 50-0 and won with some power punches to finish off McGregor. After that on the way back to my room I saw all these people dressed up in medieval style clothing, as it was part of the morning ceremony for the festival that was taking place. There was also the branding of the barrels for the barrel race. We tried later that day to go get gelato, but every street was packed with people and marching right up the streets were the contradas. I was glad that we tried to go even thought we weren't successful, because we got to see the flag throwers and people dressed up with knight costumes with real swords. The people doing this performance were dying of thirst because they were dressed in head to toe in thick cotton and armor. They had some lady delivering them water as they went about there walk to keep them from dehydration. Later on we went over to Professor Noist's place to watch the barrel race. His apartment was in the most ideal place, because it was right near the finish line and had two good sized windows to peek out of as the racers went by. 

                    The view we had of the race. In this picture some pre barrel rolling 
                    ceremonies are taking place, as all the Contradas march up to wait to see
                    who will come out on top. 
What even is the Bravio delle Bottii? The Bravio of the Botti is the challenge between the eight districts that are located all along the historic town of Montepulciano. The districts fight over a painted cloth by rolling about 80 kilos of barrels around the tough, hilly terrain, that the roads of the town provides.  The barrels are pushed by two "pushers", while the race course takes them through the historic streets until they arrive at the square of the Piazza Grande.  The race was super fun to watch and with the view we had we got to see that the winning Contrada won by a blow out. The Voltaia Contrada were now back to back champs with there blowout win.
The winning Voltaia Contrada after they won the race. 

Sunsets in the City 

Yesterday was Tuesday, August 29th and a very busy day for me as far as classes went. Some interesting things did happen though. As we were walking back to our dorm, Matt got pooped on by a pigeon. I was right behind him and got to witness it all happen and it was defiantly one of the funniest things on the trip so far. To end a very busy day there is nothing like the sunsets that you get to see from the Fortezza. They never disappoint and always remind you where you are and just how spectacular this place really is. 
You don't see that everyday in Kennesaw!



No comments:

Post a Comment